At the helm since 2015, Hector Cuper’s future with Egypt is up in the air ahead of Monday’s World Cup Group A clash with Saudi Arabia.
Egypt head coach Hector Cuper is not sure what the future holds as he refused to confirm whether he will remain in charge after the World Cup.
Cuper’s Egypt will meet Saudi Arabia in Monday’s Group A dead rubber, with both nations having already been eliminated from the showpiece tournament.
There had been high hopes for Egypt until back-to-back defeats to Uruguay and Russia ended their chances of progressing amid fitness concerns over star forward Mohamed Salah.
Ahead of Egypt’s final fixture, Cooper was asked about his future and the Argentine tactician – who has been at the helm since 2015 – told reporters on Sunday: “I would never go through life excluding anything.
“It will depend on a number of factors. There are certain decisions to make to make everyone happy.”
The World Cup has not gone according to plan for Egypt, who suffered a heart-breaking 1-0 loss to Uruguay before capitulating 3-1 to hosts Russia on matchday two.
Cuper and Egypt, however, are determined to bow out with three points.
“It’s an important match. We want to end the World Cup on a high note,” he said. “We’ve prepared well. We’ve prepared well. Once again, we’re playing for the people in Egypt and give them joy.
“The fact that Egypt might win their first match at a World Cup is an important milestone.”
There has been a lot of talk about Salah and whether Egypt might have advanced if the Liverpool sensation had not hurt his shoulder in the Champions League final against Real Madrid.